How to fix blocked sinks, blocked drains or toilets
Mayday! Mayday! Call immediately when:
- sewage is in your home or garden
- more than one drain is blocked or slow
If this is the case, you will need a blocked drain plumber because your issue lies with the main sewer line under your home.
For serious (drain) issues, DIY blocked drain repairs/solutions/methods rarely work. Call drainage experts, Pipe Perfection Plumbers, on 1300 007 473.
Fix a blocked sink or blocked toilets with a plunger (or coat hanger)
If water has backed up and you have a minor blocked sink or toilet, first try using a plunger to fix:
- Put on rubber gloves, cover the area with newspaper
- Look for a small tap next to the toilet and turn the water supply off
- Cover the plughole or base of toilet bowl with the plunger and press down firmly and slowly, ensuring the plunger is under the water
- Pull up quickly and push down slowly to create suction and pressure
- If the plunging drains the bowl/sink but the clog is still there, add more water and try again
- If plunging doesn’t work – or if a specific object is causing the problem – use a wire coat hanger to retrieve the object or break up the blockage.
What about using chemicals to fix blocked sinks, blocked drains or toilets?
As Enviroplumbers, we don’t advise using chemicals for a few reasons. Some chemicals are not only harmful for the environment; but they can damage your pipes.
Instead, we recommend these more natural methods to fix your blocked sinks, clear your blocked drains or toilets and clean your pipes.
Bioclean uses natural bacteria and enzymes to ‘eat’ through the blockage in your pipes. You can order Bioclean from us.
Baking soda and vinegar
- Pour half a cup of baking soda down the drain then slowly add half a cup of white vinegar
- Wait for 30 minutes then rinse with plenty of boiling water
- Repeat if necessary.
Tip: To prevent your pipes and drains clogging up, use these natural methods once a month.
If DIY methods haven’t fixed your blocked sink, cleared your blocked drains or toilets , it’s time to ask a professional plumber for help. We’ve seen every kind of blockage you can imagine (so there’s no need to feel embarrassed).
Book our friendly team today to discover Pipe Perfection Plumbers’ difference.
The Pipe Perfection Plumbers guarantee
If we have to reline or replace your pipes we offer you a lifetime drain guarantee. And if your pipe ever becomes blocked while you own your home, we’ll fix it for free. No charges for parts or labour. Completely free!
If one guarantee wasn’t enough, all our work is also covered by our money back happiness guarantee.
Remember: for serious blockages DIY rarely works. Always be prepared to get help from an expert plumber who can solve the problem quickly and effectively.