Want to buy your dream home without making a mess of your finances or your happiness? Take this check list on board before you take the homebuyers plunge. It’s not every day you get to buy a home and you don’t want to make too many mistakes.
- Remember what you want from a home; write a list of what’s important to you and what you would be willing to compromise on.
- Get to know the area that you want to buy in and the facilities available. Ask yourself if you want an area that’s good for public transport with nice parks and schools, or if you value something that has more of a social scene, or both?
- Try not to get yourself into too much debt. Sometimes it’s better to settle for a few less creature comforts, than to be miserable watching your debts increase beyond what you are finding bearable.
- Be cautious of real estate agents. Remember that their job is to sell the house, so get independent property reports if you feel appropriate.
- Remember time is of the essence, don’t rush into buying a home just because you want one now. Spend time researching your options.